Personal and Private Information
What is the difference?
Personal Information – does not identify you
• age, boy/girl, likes/dislikes, how many siblings you have
Private Information – will identify you
• Home address, identity number, passport, bank account, email address, phone number
Be aware of what you disclose
Disclosing Private information
• Birthday (when you are 18, you like people to know it’s your birthday – when you are older, your view may change)
• Phone number – your friends will have it, anyone else will have to ask for it – you are in control
Be careful on what information you disclose
Do not readily disclose
• Home address
• Phone number
• Bank account details, Identity number, Passport number
• Full names and addresses of your Parents / siblings / cousins
You will need to disclose this information for a bank account, university application, passport – always ask yourself who are they, why do they need to know.
Simple rules to stay safe online
Our objective – enjoy your phone, computer and social media. Be careful of how you use it.
- Beware of people with evil intentions.
- Don’t disclose private information to people you don’t know
- Ask yourself “why do they want to know this?”
- Be careful about how many friends you have
- Be careful of what you post, think twice or you might regret it one day